Thursday, February 24, 2011

Keeping Up

I don't want to brag (to those who know me know that's a lie) but I read the newspaper every day. Or at least I try to find time for it. It really doesn't take to long to, if nothing else, skim all of the headlines and educate myself a little bit.

I only make the point of saying this because I'm a college student, surrounded by college students. We are supposed to be the best and the brightest, yet on a consistent basis my peers have no idea what's really going on around them. I understand that we are dedicating a lot of time to our school work, learning exactly what our major entails, but my worry is that no one really wants to be educated.

Stay with me, here's what I mean. People hate homework, I get that, I'm the leader of that crusade, but SO many people hate what they are learning about. I don't understand. I mean I know that we can't all find our passion, but this that we are learning right now, is ideally what we are going to do for the rest of our lives. It just worries me. I'm so fortunate to love what I'm doing. Every class, every speech, I know what I want to deliver on or write about. It's great when I "get" to prepare for these things. Then I see others that seem to loath what they are learning, and I just hope they get to end up happy.

I know what you're thinking, great tangent Matt but what does that have to do with reading a Newspaper? Reading a Newspaper, to me, is the need to know what's going on. I'm not going to vouch for the prestige of the Democrat Gazette but we are about to venture into the real world. We need to know what's going on around us. It's just a showing of ignorance when you can't keep up with a conversation of a current topic. If nothing else, 17 percent of Arkansas have college degrees. We are representing a group that should be the best and the brightest, yet we are willing to go into the "conversation" unprepared.

UCA offers free newspapers to all students, they are in bins all around campus. This is not homework, it's a rewarding feeling to know what is going on. To be sitting in a group of adults and be able to state the facts to couple with your opinions. It just worries me.

I hope this made sense since i wrote it at different times. I don't like to go back and reread my posts immediately or I'll second guess myself

Afterthought: Don't you hate it when you open your mouth and a stream of spit shoots out. That's the WORST hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment