Thursday, February 17, 2011

Oh Television

So my roommate and I don't pay for television. We have an antenna for football games but that's about it. What we do have, however, is internet. I also have a subscription to Netflix. Which by the way, with an antenna, Netflix, and the internet, you can get access to any television that you could possibly want.

About two weeks ago our internet went out. I don't know how it happened, but I'm starting to learn why it happened.

Do you ever feel like your life has become a routine? You go to class, go to work, go home, get on facebook, watch some on Hulu with your girl. Then you go to bed. And then it's the same thing again and again.

Well here's a reality check, time spent watching television with someone, while it may be fun, is NOT quality time.

Last night Ashley and I laid in my bed talking for about an hour and a half. She is hilarious and amazing. :) where have I been for the last couple years??

Couples tend to have a falling out after they spend enough years together. They don't understand, they are together all the time, but feel no connection.

It's because we aren't "really" together. When Ashley and I are together in silence, that's when i remember how funny she is. That when she isn't being shushed for a television show. Sometimes we get so caught up in character's lives that we forget to live our own. I don't think that we need to get rid of television, I'm not one of those bandwagon protesters that think "there's nothing good on television anymore." There's plenty of good on television, and it doesn't have to be some culty show in order for us to be able to brag about enjoying the humor. But that's another tangent that I don't need to go on right now.

I just wanna say that television has scary power. My parents spent the last 26 years "happily" married. But when my sister and I finally moved out, they turned off the television and got scared of each other. Do I think that they were always this way? Absolutely not. But if we aren't careful sitting on our couches life just might pass us by.

2 comments:

  1. right on.

    i wonder if it can be just tv though. like... people just turn to things to distract themselves from each other sometimes. even in conversations, the way you can eventually recognize that you're talking without actually saying anything. more than just the tv, i feel like it has to do with being more aware and engaged with life, and the bigness and importance of literally every moment.

    i'm more... anxious? concerned?... about death than most people that i know, so that's sort of my personal trigger. i have these moments where i feel like time is weightier, and i can feel myself wasting it in an incredibly real way. it takes so much work to really live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it's not just tv. I think this entry was more of a "dear diary I just remembered who Ashley was today and I'm gonna learn from this experience." lol.

    Tracy I'm not prepared to think on that level. Ignorance is bliss and as long as I perceive that I'm enjoying life, then I'm ok with that for now.

    I don't worry about death, but yes every once in a while I sit down, usually on a toilet (welcome to the world of being a man), and realize that I will never be a teenager again. That I will never turn 21 again, and that I'm almost done with college. The world may be my oyster but I'm about to come to a crossroad with a billion choices and it almost feels like i have to make that decision immediately. Scary. But I know that as long as I have Ashley with me it'll be alright. ;)

    ReplyDelete