Sunday, May 22, 2011

Who are we trying to impress?

Beautiful, busy, bustling, beaming; New York City is indescribable. It's an atmosphere that I challenge any place to match (seriously cause I'd like to visit that place too).

As some of you know, I love people. I could spend hours just watching how they interact, and New York was the ultimate catering to this pleasure. A smorgasbord of cultures, creeds, and colors served up on a platter for extroverts to enjoy.

I have a lot to write about when it comes to this city, I'll probably have four a five entries on it, but I want to start with an observation, and a reiteration of the first adjective used in this post.

Beautiful.

It's not just the sights that attract the world to this stunning city. New York has BEAUTIFUL people, with FANTASTIC taste in fashion. I couldn't help but stare in jealousy at some of the daring, sometimes gaudy, fashion decisions being made. Jealousy stemming from how naturally it worked for most people.

But it made me think:
Why?

Here's something I enjoy about my city. When I walk into a bar, I know someone. I dress to impress the people I already know. The people that I want to have an opinion about me. I just don't feel that that could be the mindset here. In the city, you're just another face in the crowd, another drunk in a bar, another number in a row. The city is beautiful until you get lost in the white noise. Is there such thing as too much of a good thing? Yeah I truly believe in that.

These New Yorkers seem to ignore each other anyway. You kind of have to. Jared and I decided that if "Yes Man" took place in New York, he'd be broke and homeless. But that's another entry for another day.

If these people really are completely ignoring each other, why even bother? Are they walking around dressing up for the day to pretend like their two seconds of eye contact (which is probably stretching it in New York) make up for the loneliness of not "really" ever meeting anyone?

It's the realization that your friends are only "acquaintances", but to an extreme degree. It's being surrounded by a million people, but feeling completely alone.

Without consistent interaction, one cannot truly be happy.

Cheers had a bar where "everybody knows your name".

Sounds good to me

No comments:

Post a Comment