Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Don't Speak

 For those who don't know, Don't Ask, Don't Tell has been repealed. The policy created in the Clinton Administration, that Michael Scott would tell you is a "lose, lose" has been declared a violation of human rights, almost 20 years later. So what better reason to begin blogging again than this?

As I accidently do in most of my blog entries, I will again make a point to discredit myself by saying that I'm not a soldier, nor do I see myself serving in the military any time soon. So, no, I'm not an expert.

But I do know about being a human being. A human being that, because of my first amendment rights, can express myself in any manner that I see fit.

Because of my first amendment rights. The most valuable right that we have. The right to have a voice. The right to yell out to any ears that may hear it. To say whatever I want to say.

That right was taken away from military personnel who were gay. The freedom of speech. Don't Ask, Don't Tell is exactly the opposite of the freedom of speech.

I will be honest. I understand if a bunch of straight males don't want to shower with gay males. The military does not allow males and females showering together, so I wouldn't expect men to have to shower with gay men. I understand if men don't want to be stuck in a fox hole with another man that may or may not be attracted to him. A homophobe has the right to be a homophobe. That is his American right.

Here is my problem. I challenge a single person to find a mature veteran who would take away an American's right to burn the American flag. The freedom of speech, the freedom of expression, the freedom of protest. Ever veteran will tell you that THAT is what they fought for. The freedom to say what you believe.

But a homosexual cannot say who they are.

The military sure did drop the ball on that one. Luckily they've been given a new chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment