Monday, April 18, 2011

It's Over

Some of you may know, but most won't, that History day in Arkansas happens on the campus of the University of Central Arkansas, and since I am the secretaries assistant, I got to spend this last Saturday working History Day. Well I got to work mostly with a professor, Dr. Ramsey, who is in charge of History Day for the entire state.

Dr. Ramsey isn't a particularly congenial woman, nor is she in the slightest bit perky. We actually very rarely have any kind of interaction except for when she's asking me to make copies, even though her office is a foot from my desk.

Three days before History Day she had to go to the hospital for emergency surgery.
The moment she was released from the Hospital she was back in the office instead of going home for rest.

(I promise this story is going somewhere)

That entire day she was smiling, and noticeably brimming with excitement. This day that everyone in the office talked about as if it were DDay and she was starting to get pumped up for it.

Well the entire day ended up being a blur, constantly being asked to run errands and fix things, from seven thirty in the morning to five in the afternoon.

At three oclock we had the awards ceremony. She did her announcements, shook the hands of the winners, and it was over.

After the awards, and after she addressed the winners I walked up to her ready to be told how to take everything down. As I approached her, I noticed that she was not there
.
She was staring off farther than the naked eye could find.......
but I knew where she was looking

I've seen that stare many times before, I've seen that place that she was looking many times before.
It's that place that culminates after a year of hard work, anticipation, fear, excitement, love, hate, sweat, tears, and for her even surgery.
It's that look that you're gonna miss this SO much.
That being retired and not being able to participate in this is going to break your heart a little EVERY day.
That you don't get to see those great people that have worked with you every year, ANY more.
That you will never make as much of an impact as you have for this moment.

She was staring into the Friday night Campfire.

So I walked away and let her have her moment.
I sure am going to miss camp this year...........:/

No comments:

Post a Comment