Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Morning Revelations

Leave it to those darn Jehovah's witnesses to give me a revelation this morning.

I'm about to leave for class this morning, T.I. blaring from my phone in my back pocket when I hear a light knock at the door.

Darnit, I gotta GO buddy.

But I opened it anyway. Who's there to greet me? A man in a suit with a bible and a pamphlet.

Oh my T.I. please keep your language to a minimum for a moment.

I quickly grabbed for my back pocket as the man smiled. Shut down my favorite rapper and smiled back at the man.

He wanted to tell me about their service on April 17th. Thanks for the packet. And he went on his way.
I walked into the bathroom to brush my teeth (I promise Ashley ;)) when I started to think, Oh MAN I'm happy my door doesn't still have the words "Happy Chanakuh BITCHES" written on it. That would have been embarrassing and I would have had to explain myself.

But why did I leave that poster up so long? Why did it take Ashley taking it down?

Obviously that poster is offensive, but my international tent mate made it. For the camp Christmas party. Which was definitely one of my favorite parties that I've thrown. So what if it was offensive. It was a great memory. Something that that guy could never understand.

Wow.....(yes I literally said WOW out loud at that moment in the morning when I had that revelation)

So here I go. Reforming a belief that I thought was pretty solid. Ole Miss has the Rebel Flag, The Washington Redskins have a Native American symbol. While I still believe that these things are wrong, and I still believe that these things are offensive. The people that defend them, and I don't mean those people that don't really care. I mean those people that defend those symbols because of what they mean to them. Because of the history behind these symbols and the experiences of their past with these symbols. I don't defend these symbols, but I do, now, respect the people that defend their memories.

Food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Matt - and I almost said wow out loud. That is quite profound. I never thought about it like that, I just always told myself that they were small minded and wrong. But you're right, they have a right to believe what they want to believe. Especially in America.

    ReplyDelete